Monday 22 February 2016

Archives

Stream of Consciousness incorporated into luggage tags
with wool. - the same sense - a train of thought - the physical process of winding wool could be a literal visualisation of the mind at work, writing, line by line


Drawing ideas from Smith's way of working has proved an effective way of taking the idea of Arte Povera forward, exploring ways of creating art in non traditional manners with non-convectional materials. 

From my previous post, I have wanted to explore more this idea of working artistically with the idea of a stream of consciousness.
In looking back at the artist, I also wanted to explore another element of her "Archive" project and exhibition: 



Security, 2012
Discarded brass and steel keys


Security, 2012
Discarded brass and steel keys purchased on Ebay
40 x 35 x 27 inches

Lost and discarded keys were cut and soldered end to end to emphasise the terrain of the key. The resultant linear elements were formed, twisted, and tangled to create moments of tension and release. The line that describes this form has no clear beginning or end. 

When I first saw this photo, I had no idea what the work was: I liked the shape and placement, but could not work it out. Of course the description helped me and I was definitely even more enticed and excited by it. A collection of keys - they tell their own story.
Smith herself believes that "the keys begin to read as landscapes, heartbeats, and a time line" which is an interesting idea, the links to my own idea of stories. It would be interesting to create something that works like this, with collected items.


Security, 2012

Security, 2012

Security, 2012
(corner piece)

In looking at the keys purchased from eBay, I began considering how I could develop this idea of a story within my own work. I like the thought of considering story-telling as I have wanted to find a way to incorporate literature into my work, so these non-conventional narrative could be developed through objects.
I thought about how I could go about a similar idea and came across postcards. The idea seems relevant to me because of the idea of the stories they tell. I went to eBay and managed to find countless packs of postcards for sale - used and unused.


I purchased a pack of 20, with the intention of experimenting with ideas once they arrive. It will prove interesting to see if I can gather some useful information. Even if there is nothing necessarily on any of the postcards, I am sure there will be a number of ways I could explore and experiment with the idea. The postcards themselves could work as an alternative to a canvas in order to create small paintings, or could even be grouped together to produce a large scale piece.
There is definitely a lot of scope and opportunity within this idea so it will be interesting to continue to explore and experiment; looking at Smith as a source of inspiration, along with others who may be of use to me and my experimentation.
It could also be interesting to continue to explore the ideas spoken about in my Southampton entry, working with colour from different images in order to create a final piece: I could create a painting (or at least a work of some sort) out of the postcards alone without the need for using any paint myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment