Sunday 15 May 2016

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park

As well as visiting The Hepworth while in Wakefield, I took a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
I have the opportunity to work with so many possibilities from the photographs I gained from the park. I was particularly intrigued by Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore. These were two of the artists I knew best, there were others I was familiar with, but these were most known to me and I do believe they stood out the most also.
I just loved Hepworth's sculptures. I loved how they captured and framed the space around them so wonderfully. The use of holes, spaces and different shapes made for so much to look at. It wasn't just the sculptures, but the way they aligned with one another, how they created little viewfinders and even the ways in which the light caught the bronze and how this light cast interesting shadows. There is so much to a Hepworth sculpture and they were so delightful to see.




I have seen Henry Moore sculptures before, but only ever much smaller works, situated in the Henry Moore Institute in Leeds, so seeing the huge structures in the park was a wonderful experience. Seeing the craftsmanship, the dents and curves, on such a huge scale was something very impressive. I have always been intrigued by Moores' drawings and paintings but there is something so much more about seeing the shapes of his 2D works brought into 3D on such a grand scale.







Seeing these sculptures in the park was definitely inspiring to my ideas of exploring space and the human form. The way they claimed the space was something I really wanted to capture and document as I feel this made them so powerful and effective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment